About Niagara Falls
For students living in Buffalo, NY, visiting Niagara Falls should be one of the top destinations on your local to-do list. The falls and its outdoor parks can be the perfect stress reliever to balance out your study time in the college library.
Niagara Falls is a great day trip to explore the best of Buffalo’s outdoor beauty, especially during the warmer months when you can take a boat ride right up to the falls.
This is a good trip to take visitors, parents, friends, or any out-of-town guest. Put this on your list for Parents Weekend or UB’s Graduation Weekend, as it’s a close day trip from campus. Read on for information on how to get to Niagara Falls and how much to budget.
The falls can be viewed from the U.S. side or the Canadian side. There are many attractions, shops, and restaurants in the Niagara Falls area on both sides. If you’re planning to cross the border, be sure to bring your passport.
Niagara Falls Facts
- The falls were first discovered by Father Louis Hennepin in 1678.
- Niagara Falls is composed of three waterfalls: the American Falls, the Bridal Veil Falls, and the Horseshoe Falls.
- The three waterfalls combine to produce the highest flow rate of any waterfall on earth.
- 681,750 gallons of water flow over the Horseshoe Falls every second.
- The first person to go over the falls was Annie Edson Taylor. She went over in a barrel!
- Parts of the movie Pirates of the Caribbean were filmed at Niagara Falls. Superman and Niagara, which starred Marilyn Monroe, were also filmed at the falls.
- Niagara Falls was created by glacier activity around 10,000 years ago.
- The Niagara River is a channel that connects two Great Lakes: Lake Erie and Lake Ontario.
How to Get to Niagara Falls
- Driving Directions: https://www.niagarafallsstatepark.com/plan-your-trip/maps-and-directions
- Where to Park: https://www.niagarafallsstatepark.com/plan-your-trip/parking
- Metro Bus: http://www.buffaloairport.com/Ground/PublicTrans.aspx
- Buffalo Taxis: http://libertycab.com/ and http://www.buffaloexpresstaxi.com/
- Getting to Niagara Falls from the Buffalo Airport: http://www.buffaloairport.com/Canadian/ToNiagaraFallsUSA.aspx
- Zipcar (UB Student Discount): http://www.zipcar.com/universities/university-at-buffalo
There are a variety of options for tours and other attractions at Niagara Falls.
Some of them offer student discounts, so be sure to bring your college ID along. You can do Niagara Falls on the cheap, just the cost of transportation, or you can sign up for a tour.
The Maid of the Mist is one of the most popular attractions, which is a boat ride that takes you right up to the falls. They provide panchos, but dress prepared to get a little wet — it’s half the fun and makes for great pictures with your college friends.
And if you want to go all the way or plan to be a frequent visitor throughout the semester, check out the Niagara Falls Discovery Pass.
- Plan Your Trip: https://www.niagarafallsstatepark.com/plan-your-trip
- Niagara Falls Discovery Pass: https://www.niagarafallsstatepark.com/discovery-pass
- Student Group Packages: https://niagarafallscliftonhill.com/blog/niagara-falls-student-group-package-clifton-hill/
- Over the Falls Tours: https://overthefallstoursniagara.com/
- Maid of the Mist: http://www.visitbuffaloniagara.com/businesses/maid-of-the-mist-boat-tour-and-observation-elevator/
- Cave of the Winds: http://www.visitbuffaloniagara.com/businesses/cave-of-the-winds/
- Niagara Falls State Park: http://www.visitbuffaloniagara.com/businesses/niagara-falls-state-park/